Dental fillings are simple tooth-colored materials used to repair cavities and restore the tooth's shape and size. At Helena Family Dentistry, our dentists use composite fillings to treat cavities.
Tooth decay is caused by bacteria that accumulate in the mouth due to poor oral hygiene. They erode the enamel and create cavities in it. If not treated in time, they could advance deeper into the tooth, which could eventually lead to root canal infection or even its total loss. Hence, dentists recommend that patients get their cavities treated at the earliest by filling them with dental fillings.
When Would You Need a Dental Filling?
A dental filling is necessary when you experience any of the following:
- You have cavities or tooth decay.
- You feel discomfort while biting or chewing food.
- Your teeth feel rough and uneven.
- The cavity has progressed too deep.
- You have chipped or cracked teeth.
- You have a root canal infection.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings are highly versatile and can be used to treat cavities, cracks, and chips on teeth. They are made from tooth-colored composite resin or ceramic material that resembles the natural enamel perfectly. Here are some of the advantages of composite dental fillings:
- They offer excellent sealing properties, thus preventing further bacterial growth in the treated cavity.
- They are biocompatible and do not cause any adverse reactions to the gums or soft tissue in the mouth.
- They can be used to treat various types of oral issues with equal ease.
- Composite dental fillings can be customized to match the exact appearance of natural enamel, making them highly discreet and hard to spot once applied to the teeth.
- They offer excellent durability, which makes them last for several years together without any hassle.
- The procedure of getting a composite filling done is quite simple and pain-free, which saves a lot of time for you as well.
- Composite dental fillings offer excellent sealing properties, which makes them highly effective in treating cavities.
- They help restore tooth functionality back to normal, thus improving your confidence levels.
- Composite dental fillings offer excellent sealing properties, preventing further bacterial growth in the treated cavity.
How Are Fillings Placed?
A composite filling will be placed on your tooth only if decay hasn't progressed too deep into it or if it hasn't damaged the nerves or roots underneath it. The dentist starts by administering anesthesia and will remove any decay from your tooth before placing a filling on it. The dentist will then shape your filling according to the contour of your tooth and the depth of decay present in it and place it inside the cavity carefully. It will then be hardened with a curing light and allowed to set properly before you go home after your appointment with us.
To learn more, visit us at Helena, MT, or call us at (406) 443-6160 to schedule an appointment with the dentist and we will be happy to help.