WHAT IS A DENTAL CROWN?
When a tooth's structure is compromised, a crown rebuilds it. Crowns can be made from white material (ceramic, zirconia) or from metal or gold.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A CROWN?
There are many possible reasons to place a crown on a tooth:
- To restore a severely broken-down or worn tooth
- To prevent a cracked tooth from fracturing
- To restore a tooth that has extensive filling material and is at risk of fracturing
- To protect and seal a tooth after root canal treatment
- To improve the esthetics of a tooth
- To change the shape, size, or contour of a tooth
What Should I Expect at My Crown Appointment? Getting a crown typically requires two appointments to complete the process. At the first appointment, the tooth is prepared for a crown. An impression is taken of the prepared tooth, which will be used by a dental lab to create the final crown. We will provide you with a temporary crown while your final restoration is being made. When the final crown is ready, we will remove the temporary crown and replace it with the permanent one. Once completed, the tooth is restored to optimal function and appearance.
How Should I Care for a Crown? You should care for your crowned tooth in the same way you care for your natural teeth by brushing and flossing daily. Routine dental checkups and exams are necessary for follow-up care. With proper care, crowns can last for many years.
To learn more, visit us in Helena, MT or call us at (406) 443-6160 to schedule an appointment where we will be happy to help.