WHAT IS A DENTAL CLEANING?
Simply put, the goal of a cleaning appointment is to improve or maintain the health of the gums and teeth. At your initial appointment, the health of your gums and surrounding bone will be assessed, and we will formulate a specific treatment plan with you depending on the assessment.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A CLEANING?
Dental cleanings are important to maintain the health of the gums and bone around the teeth. The term for unhealthy gums and bone is periodontal disease, which, if left untreated, can result in:
- Bone dying permanently around the teeth
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession causing exposed root surfaces
- Swollen and tender gums
- Bad breath
- Sensitivity or pain
- Shifting of the teeth
In addition, there are many associations between the health of the gums and the overall health of the body. Many chronic diseases have been linked to gum health, such as heart disease, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s. At Helena Family Dentistry, we believe that healthy gums and teeth are essential to a healthy body and therefore strive to help our patient’s achieve optimal oral health.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AT MY CLEANING APPOINTMENT?
At Helena Family Dentistry, your cleaning appointment involves much more than just having your teeth cleaned. Depending on the visit, your appointment may entail some or all of the following:
- Updating necessary X-rays
- Discussing your medical history, which is relevant to your oral health
- Blood pressure screening
- Oral cancer screening exam
- Measurements of the gums to assess their health
- Removal of plaque, calculus, and stain from the teeth
- Polishing of the teeth
- Application of fluoride varnish for cavity prevention
- Personalized hygiene instruction and home care recommendations
- Oral care product recommendations
- An examination by the dentist to check the health of the gums and teeth
- Establish an ideal timeframe between cleanings to maintain optimal gum health
To learn more, visit us in Helena, MT, or call us at (406) 443-6160 to schedule an appointment, and we will be happy to help.